CANNING AND FRESH EGGS EXHIBIT
Ellliott W. & Rosemary R. Woolwich
In the canning and egg categrories, there are two age divisions: Junior Division (16 and younger) Senior Division (17 and oldger)..
Vincent Talarico Memorial Canning Award presented to the best of the competition related to the category of canned hot peppers.
Gabby Adler Memorial Canning Award presented to the best of the competition related to the category of canned jams and jellies.
The Amelia Mathiss Award is presented to the Best of Canning of Fresh Fruit.
- All entries must be placed between the hours of 9 a.m. and noon. Friday or Saturday.
- All entries are to be delivered to the Home Arts Tent located next to the firehouse.
- Entries must have been made within 12 months immediately preceding The Fair, or never exhibited at this Fair before.
- Exhibits will not be released until 6:00 p.m. Sunday and all entries must be called for by 7:00 p.m. Any entry remaining after this time will be disposed of by the management.
- First, Second, and Third Place Ribbons will be awarded to deserving entries.
- A trophy will be awarded for the "Best of Show" in Canning and Eggs for both junior and senior divisions.
- A Rosette will be awarded for "Judges' Choice" in canning and eggs for both junior and senior divisions.
- Items will not be sold at the Fair.
- Judging will begin promptly on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
An entry will be one dozen (12) eggs any size or color, and/or a creative display of eggs. Eggs may be displayed in a carton, basket, or an arrangement determined by the participant.
All eggs should be clean and crack free. If eggs are decorated with colors; they should be of a non-toxic nature.
- Any vegetable, fruit, pickle product, relish, chili sauce, honey, jam, jelly, preserve, conserve, apple product or maple syrup may be entered, any size.
- Labels are required for each individual entry. Participant's name should not be on the label.
- According to U.S.D.A. recommendations, no entries will be accepted with parafin.
- All canned goods must be exhibited in regular canning jars. Jars, rings, and lids must be clean and must be free of all residues, otherwise they will be disqualified.
- Canning jar rings must remain on all canned products entered into the canning competition.
- Entries will be judged on appearance, pack product, jars, labeling; each factor being given equal weight also in some instances judges reserve the right to open jars to check consistency, quality and taste.
- SPECIAL ENTRY - An assortment of canning must be at least 5 jars or a small 15 inch by 15 inch entry related to canning.
Ball Canning Jar Competition
The Bridgewater Fair's Canning competition has been approved to participate in the Alltrista Corporation's Premium Food Preservation Awards.
To stimulate the art of home preservation, Alltrista Corporation is offering 12 coupons toward the purchase of Ball Home Canning Products and 8 Ball Blue Book canning guides.
The two best exhibits canned in Ball Jars and sealed with Ball Caps shall be selected from each class indicated below to receive the following:
2012 Adult Premium Food Preservation Award
- In fruits, vegetables, pickled foods, and soft spreads, the first place winner shall receive two Ball Home Canning Product coupons and one Ball Blue Book canning guide.
- The second place winner in each of the classes shall receive one Ball Home Canning Product coupon and Ball Blue Book canning guide.
2012 Adult Heinz "Best of Show" Food Preservation Award
- To promote the art of pickling foods and safe home food preservation Ball Home Canning Products and Heinz Vinegar are offering this special adult award category. Any entry of pickled fruits or vegetables meeting the participation and judging guidelines is eligible.
- The best exhibit prepared with Heinz Distilled White or Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar and canned in Ball Home Canning Jars and sealed with Ball caps shall be selected as the Best of Show. The winner will receive the following:
The Best of Show winner receives one complete Ball Home Canning Utensil Set (Jar Lifter, Canning Funnel, Lid Wand and Bubble FREER), a copy of Heinz Successful Pickling Guide and Heinz Vinegar coupons.
2012l Youth Premium Food Preservation Awards
- To further stimulate the art of home food preservation Alltrista Corporation is offering 3 coupons toward the purchase of Ball Home Canning Products and three Ball Blue Book canning guides.
- The best exhibit submitted by a youth, canned in Ball Jars and sealed with Ball caps, shall be selected from the class indicated below to receive the following:
In Fruits, Vegetables, and Soft Spreads, there shall be one winner in each class and each winner shall receive one (1) Ball Home Canning Product coupon and one (1) Ball Blue Book canning guide.
Any further inquiry may be made by writing or calling (860 355-1516) Elliott W. Woolwich or Rosemary R. Woolwich at 144 Main Street, North; Bridgewater, Connecticut 06752