YOUTH BEEF CATTLE SHOW
The Junior Show will take place on Saturday at 9:00 am.
SHOWMANSHIP: Sunday at 9:00 am MANDATORY.
Fitting (grooming) and Showmanship involves a person on the ground leading an animal, wearing a bridle, through a series of maneuvers called a pattern. The animal itself is not judged on its conformation. Rather, the exhibitor is judged on how well he or she exhibits the animal to its best advantage, with additional scoring for the grooming and presentation of both animal and handler.
Age Classifications for youth beef fitting and showmanship
Senior 14 - 19 years old
Junior 7 -13 years old
Novice Never shown before, First year (7 - 19 years old)
Peewee (Children 6 & under with an adult at their side)
Superintendent - Jamie Sullivan (860) 354-6791
43 Curtis Rd, Bridgewater, CT 06752
- All entry blanks for both events including showmanship and toddler showman must be received by August 11, 2013 and must be filled out completely: Name, Address, Phone and Date of Birth for each exhibitor.
- All entries received will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis until the barn is full.
- $2.00 Entry fee per animal. Send entries and entry fees to the Superintendent
- ANIMALS MUST BE ON THE FAIR GROUNDS BY 6:00 PM ON FRIDAY.
- Get ENTRY FORM (pdf format) at this link.
All animals shown by Junior Exhibitors must be owned or leased by exhibitors. Registration and lease papers are required.
HEALTH RULES FOR CATTLE
- All animals over 6 months must have a rabies vaccination certificate.
- Exhibitors must have health certificates in order to show their livestock at Connecticut Fairs and Shows.
- All entries must originate in a Tuberculosis-Negative herd, and from Brucellosis-Negative herds under state supervision.
- Should animals originate from out-of-state, they must be from Brucellosis-Negative herds blood tested within 12 months. Official vaccinates over 18 months of age and non-vaccinates over 8 months old must be negative to the blood test within 30 days prior to shipment, and must be Tuberculosis-Negative, tested within 12 months of fair.
- The Beef Committee reserves the right to reject any entry in question, and to remove any animal from the grounds for health reasons.
- All animals should be in show condition for competition.
- All livestock must remain on the grounds until 6:00 pm Sunday, August 21, 2011.
- Bedding - sawdust only, will be supplied by the Fair.
- Where there is no competition, the judge will award ribbon and prize money as he/she sees fit.
- Herdsmanship contest sponsored by the Fair. The junior exhibitor doing the best job of taking care of their exhibit space will be awarded a trophy.
- ANY EXHIBITOR CONSUMING OR DISPENSING ALCHOLOIC BEVERAGES IN THE DAIRY BARN OR ON THE FAIR GROUNDS WILL FORFEIT THEIR PREMIUM MONEY.
- SHOWMANSHIP: Saturday at 9:00 am MANDATORY FOR DAIRY. BEEF SHOWMANSHIP AT 11:00 AM.
- Each animal may only be shown in only one Breed Class.
- No professional fitters.
- All Classes limited to 2 animals per exhibitor per class. The order of the Beef Show: Fitting & Showmanship, Heifer Beef Show & Steer Show.
BEEF - Junior Show
Registered Purebred Angus ~ Registered Hereford ~ All Other Breeds (or AOB)
*including all Crossbred Cattle and other registered breeds
CLASS 1: Heifer Calf Newborn - - - 6 months old
CLASS 2: Junior Heifer Calf 6 months - - - 1 year old
CLASS 3: Intermediate Heifer Calf 1 year - - - 18 months
CLASS 4: Senior Heifer Calf 18 months - - - 2 years old
CLASS 5: Cow/Calf Class - - - Cows over 2 with Calf at side
CLASS 6: Champion / Reserve Champion - - - Trophy / Rosette
CLASS 7: Bull Calf Class - - - 6 months and under / Rosette
STEER SHOW : All Classes will be divided evenly according to weights
CLASS 1: Light Weight
CLASS 2: Medium Weight
CLASS 3: Heavy Weight
CLASS 4: Champion & Reserve Trophy
*All Steers to be weighed in on Friday Evening (Time to be Announced)
BEEF BREED & SHOWMANSHIP
PRIZE MONEY - JUNIOR SHOW
1st - $50.00
2nd - $40.00
3rd - $30.00
4th - $20.00
5th - $10.00